About me

I was born and raised in Northern (Superior) Wisconsin about 80 miles from the Canadian border; and, yes it gets very cold there! At the young age of 32 I began to feel called into ministry. One night at a church dinner, my wife Judy and I sat at a table next to our district superintendent. In the course of our conversation, he said that he had a small church that needed someone to supply the pulpit until he could appoint a new pastor. My pastor suggested that maybe I could do that. I agreed, and two Sundays later, my wife and I drove to that small rural church. Little did we know that I would fill the pulpit in that church for thirteen years!

I have now been in the ministry for 35 years after also serving churches in Virginia and Maryland. I am currently retired...well, sort of. In my retirement, I am now serving as part-time Pastor of First Evangelical Covenant Church in Superior Wi. I began writing books about seven years ago, and still enjoy speaking and teaching when I can.

I have a deep desire to help people grow in their faith and knowledge of God’s Word. My books are what I call a “Quest for Discipleship”. As I said, I am a published author and I have nineteen books which include my latest called "Tell Me, Show Me, Fill Me, Change Me"; "In It For Life"; “By His Hand”; “Show and Tell”; “The Promised Gift”; “Jars of Clay”; “The Kingdom of God”; “From the Pastor’s Desk”; “More From the Pastor’s Desk”; "T.E.A.M."; "Let Earth Receive Her King"; "Therefore" "Principles from Proverbs"; "God's Top ten"; "Prayer Changes Things", "5 R's of Revelation" and two "Renewed Faith" 90 day devotionals all by Life Ministries Publishing. My wife Judy passed away in 2021and I have since remarried to My wife Crystal.

Thank you for checking out my blog and I hope that you will also check my website at;


😊! E-mail me a question on this link and I will try to answer it here.

Name

Email *

Message *

Monday, September 2, 2013

What is unity?
Ephesians 4

    In a musical production, there are a variety of singers and instruments. Yet, in spite of a great diversity of instruments and voices, they can play together in harmony. How?  They each look to and obey the direction of the conductor…But also, each one follows or does their own part. What if the Tuba was to play the piccolo part? Or what if the Sopranos tried to sing bass?  The church is made up of a diverse people, who are called to live in harmony…based upon their common relationship to God and their willingness to listen to Him and obey Him…for the common good. When the choir and the orchestra are all in sync, the music is marvelous.
    In the book of Ephesians, more than any of Paul’s other letters, he calls the church to be unified. He mentions the unity of the church 18 times. Both Paul and Jesus agree on this: unity in the church is not just a good thing; unity is absolutely essential.
    Moments before he went to the cross, Jesus prayed for the church in John 17:20-23 ( read )… This is the church that he knew would be established after his death and resurrection. He didn’t pray for large buildings. He didn’t pray for ministry programs or administrative finesse or creative worship. He asked for only one thing: “I pray that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you.” “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.” If we’re going to be the kind of people God intends, then we need to take this to heart. The greatest cause of unbelief in the world is the poor testimony of those who profess to be Christ-followers.

Here are two important words we need to remember concerning unity: Community – Unity of things in common.  Opportunity – Favorable circumstances (because of unity) Opportunity is the result of Community.
    A few years ago at the Special Olympics in Seattle, WA, nine physically or mentally challenged runners lined up at the starting line for the 100 meter run. At the sound of the gun, all the runners eagerly started out except for one boy who stumbled. He tumbled over a couple of times and began to cry. The other eight runners heard the boy cry and slowly turned around and paused. Then they all turned back - every one of them. One girl with Down syndrome bent down and kissed the boy and said, ¨It’s O.K.” Then all nine of them linked arms and walked together to the finish line. Everyone in the stadium stood and the cheering went on for a solid ten minutes.
    That race paints a picture of what God’s family is like. We’re all wounded. We’re all challenged in one way or another. But God, in his infinite mercy and grace, makes us part of his forever family through faith in Christ. And it’s with our spiritual family that we are to journey through life helping each other along the way.

    The goal of unity is found in John 17 verse 21, “so that the world may believe that You have sent Me.” When we stand together as one, the world takes notice. The song we sing says, “They’ll know we are Christians by our love”…what will they know if we don’t get along?

No comments:

Blog Archive