About me

I was born and raised in Northern (Superior) Wisconsin about 80 miles from the Canadian border; and, yes it gets very cold there! At the young age of 32 I began to feel called into ministry. One night at a church dinner, my wife Judy and I sat at a table next to our district superintendent. In the course of our conversation, he said that he had a small church that needed someone to supply the pulpit until he could appoint a new pastor. My pastor suggested that maybe I could do that. I agreed, and two Sundays later, my wife and I drove to that small rural church. Little did we know that I would fill the pulpit in that church for thirteen years!

I have now been in the ministry for 35 years after also serving churches in Virginia and Maryland. I am currently retired...well, sort of. In my retirement, I am now serving as part-time Pastor of First Evangelical Covenant Church in Superior Wi. I began writing books about seven years ago, and still enjoy speaking and teaching when I can.

I have a deep desire to help people grow in their faith and knowledge of God’s Word. My books are what I call a “Quest for Discipleship”. As I said, I am a published author and I have nineteen books which include my latest called "Tell Me, Show Me, Fill Me, Change Me"; "In It For Life"; “By His Hand”; “Show and Tell”; “The Promised Gift”; “Jars of Clay”; “The Kingdom of God”; “From the Pastor’s Desk”; “More From the Pastor’s Desk”; "T.E.A.M."; "Let Earth Receive Her King"; "Therefore" "Principles from Proverbs"; "God's Top ten"; "Prayer Changes Things", "5 R's of Revelation" and two "Renewed Faith" 90 day devotionals all by Life Ministries Publishing. My wife Judy passed away in 2021and I have since remarried to My wife Crystal.

Thank you for checking out my blog and I hope that you will also check my website at;


😊! E-mail me a question on this link and I will try to answer it here.

Name

Email *

Message *

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Knowledge of God – 2

    When was the last time you prayed for the spiritual growth and well-being of another Christian?  I wonder how many of us would even think to pray for one another that the Holy Spirit would give them wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of God? There are some things we can pray for each other and never have to wonder if we are praying for a legitimate need or not. For instance, I can pray verse 18 - that “the Lord will enlighten the eyes of your heart, so that you may know what is the hope of His calling, and what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe;” I can pray that the Lord will give you an ever greater hunger for His word, and that He will use your study to draw you ever closer to Himself, and that as you grow in the grace and knowledge of Him you will be used of Him to illuminate the world around you”… How many of us pray that kind of prayer for one another? When we pray this way, we’re asking God to give us and give our fellow believers something that is only available to those who have the Holy Spirit of God.
    The point is this; Man in his natural mind cannot begin to comprehend God. In fact, one basic truth that the scriptures teach us from beginning to end, is that apart from the Spirit and spiritual birth, God is infinitely and eternally out of man’s grasp. “Man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God; for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.” (1st. Cor. 2:14)
    Paul is, in effect, repeating Jesus’ teaching when He told the Pharisee, Nicodemus, “...unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” Man cannot have the knowledge of God apart from God’s Spirit. The wisdom, the teaching, and the understanding of the things of the Spirit.
    I want to finish today by giving you an excerpt from D. Martin Lloyd-Jones’ commentary on this verse. I enjoyed what he said and I want to share it with you;
“We have been considering one of the most important doctrines of the Christian faith. The Protestant Reformers used to tell their hearers that there is a double action of the Holy Spirit. There is the ‘Testimonium Spiritus Externus’ - the Spirit that is in the Word, as it were, the Spirit that inspired the men who produced the Word. That is essential. But it is not enough. Before I know that this is God’s Word and God’s truth, before I can read the Bible and discover health and food for my soul, something additional is necessary - the ‘Testimonium Spiritus Internus’. The Spirit in the reader! And without the Spirit in him no man will be able to understand the meaning of the Word. The two operations are absolutely essential.”
    In other words we have seen that the Apostle Paul prays for the Ephesian believers that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give them ‘the Spirit of wisdom (the Spirit in the Word) and ‘the Spirit of revelation’ (the Spirit in the believer) taking the Word and from it revealing a knowledge of God in all His glory.

No comments:

Blog Archive