About me

I was born and raised in Northern (Superior) Wisconsin about 80 miles from the Canadian border; and, yes it gets very cold there! At the young age of 32 I began to feel called into ministry. One night at a church dinner, my wife Judy and I sat at a table next to our district superintendent. In the course of our conversation, he said that he had a small church that needed someone to supply the pulpit until he could appoint a new pastor. My pastor suggested that maybe I could do that. I agreed, and two Sundays later, my wife and I drove to that small rural church. Little did we know that I would fill the pulpit in that church for thirteen years!

I have now been in the ministry for 35 years after also serving churches in Virginia and Maryland. I am currently retired...well, sort of. In my retirement, I am now serving as part-time Pastor of First Evangelical Covenant Church in Superior Wi. I began writing books about seven years ago, and still enjoy speaking and teaching when I can.

I have a deep desire to help people grow in their faith and knowledge of God’s Word. My books are what I call a “Quest for Discipleship”. As I said, I am a published author and I have nineteen books which include my latest called "Tell Me, Show Me, Fill Me, Change Me"; "In It For Life"; “By His Hand”; “Show and Tell”; “The Promised Gift”; “Jars of Clay”; “The Kingdom of God”; “From the Pastor’s Desk”; “More From the Pastor’s Desk”; "T.E.A.M."; "Let Earth Receive Her King"; "Therefore" "Principles from Proverbs"; "God's Top ten"; "Prayer Changes Things", "5 R's of Revelation" and two "Renewed Faith" 90 day devotionals all by Life Ministries Publishing. My wife Judy passed away in 2021and I have since remarried to My wife Crystal.

Thank you for checking out my blog and I hope that you will also check my website at;


😊! E-mail me a question on this link and I will try to answer it here.

Name

Email *

Message *

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Lifeshapes - 7
The Pentagram – “A Five-Fold Foundation for Gifts"
Ephesians 4:11-13
 I would like to start by saying that I believe that Ephesians 4:11 to be a list of the “five-fold foundations” for giftedness in the church. I believe that these five foundational areas are areas of “calling”…and, that born again, Spirit-filled, Christians are “gifted” to work within the parameters of this five-fold ministry. As we will see, there is a difference between being “called” and being “gifted” however, those who are called to a certain area are also gifted in that area and have a passion for their giftedness and calling. In other words, there are those who are “called” to be Evangelists and have the gift of “evangelism” and there are those who have the gift of evangelism who are not necessarily “called” to be evangelists…Are you still with me?...
Let me start with this:
*Apostle – Means “one who is sent”. Now, in the Biblical sense of the word, this would be basically the Disciples and Paul. An Apostle was one who had a personal experience and call from the living Christ, to “Go” and “Do” a specific ministry. In a spiritual sense, the living Jesus still “calls” some to be Apostles. They are pioneers, explorers, and entrepreneurs; they are church planters, who are called to a specific type of ministry…to reach a specific type of people. They are “ones who are sent”.
*Prophet – Was one who was called to be God’s voice to the people concerning the present and the future. Prophets of course have the gift of prophecy. These are people who are able to stand back from circumstances and get a clear picture of what “is” and also what “can be.” They are able to understand the times, and picture what the future may look like. They are people of “vision.” Not everyone has vision. In other words they see a situation or circumstance and only see what IS and they are not able to see what can be…or what the possibilities are.
*Evangelist – “Messenger”; “one who brings good news.” They have the gift of evangelism, which means they are passionate about sharing the gospel, and they can make it relevant to non-Christians. Sometimes I think that those we call “evangelists” are really “revivalists” – there is a great difference.
*Pastor – “One who shepherds; leads; encourages; admonishes; and cares for the flock.” The Pastor has a tender heart; has a lot of patience; sees needs and attempts to provide comfort and healing and direction. They usually are good listeners, understanding, and easy to talk to.
*Teacher – “One who is passionate about truth and looks for ways to enlighten; explain; and apply; with positive results.” The teacher enjoys reading, studying, and helping others to understand. They also enjoy training and equipping others.
    While most churches expect their pastor to be all of these things; the truth is that there is only one person who ever lived who was all of these things, and that was Jesus! Most pastors wish they had all of these gifts, but the truth is they usually have two or three at the most.
    These are the foundational areas of calling and giftedness in the church…Next we will look at the Spiritual gifts and see where they fit in to this picture. For instance: Where would someone with the gift of wisdom fit in?
*Wisdom is - (Knowing what to do in many situations because of: 1.Experience; 2. Knowledge; 3. A Word from God.)
*Gift of Knowledge – Is the ability to understand truth by supernatural means. ( Spirit )
*Gift of Exhortation –  The ability to encourage as well as challenge others, and put them first.
*Gift of Discernment – Ability to discern right/wrong; good/evil; true and counterfeit motives and attitudes.
*Gift of Giving – Knowing that God blesses financially so they can freely give to kingdom work; and kingdom needs.
*Gift of Helps – Serve or assist with gifts and talents on individual basis…without having to be #1 (Personal note: I think there are more of these people than you think.)
*Gift of Service – Serve or assist on a general basis. To do whatever they can to grow the kingdom. (These are usually the ones who don’t think they have a gift, but they show up for whatever is needed!)
*Gift of Mercy – Showing compassion toward those who are suffering and/or hurting, despite circumstances.
*Gift of Missions – Able to use their giftedness in a different culture - ( Not necessarily different country.)
*Gift of Hospitality – Ability to provide an open house and a warm welcome to those in need.
*Gift of Faith – Extraordinary confidence in the will and purpose and ability of God. (Key word being “extraordinary.”)
*Gift of Leadership – Ability to set goals; and strategies to obtain goals, and to communicate this to others.
*Gift of Administration – Ability to understand immediate and long term goals and devise effective plans to accomplish the desired results. This person is also very Organized.
*Gift of Craftsmanship – Ability to build, make, or remake with exceptional skill and excellence.
*Gift of Evangelism – Ability to share testimony and the gospel in ways that draw others to Christ.
*Gift of Music – Ability that goes beyond talent. (On the show American Idol they say this person has “IT” )
*Sign Gifts :      Healing – Tongues – Interpretation – Miracles - these are self-explanatory.

    The work of those called to the five-fold foundational ministries is to “prepare God’s people for works of service – (in all five areas, using those with the gifts that are needed) so the body of Christ may be built up!” and the Kingdom of God will advance.

 

No comments:

Blog Archive