About me

I was born and raised in Northern (Superior) Wisconsin about 80 miles from the Canadian border; and, yes it gets very cold there! At the young age of 32 I began to feel called into ministry. One night at a church dinner, my wife Judy and I sat at a table next to our district superintendent. In the course of our conversation, he said that he had a small church that needed someone to supply the pulpit until he could appoint a new pastor. My pastor suggested that maybe I could do that. I agreed, and two Sundays later, my wife and I drove to that small rural church. Little did we know that I would fill the pulpit in that church for thirteen years!

I have now been in the ministry for 35 years after also serving churches in Virginia and Maryland. I am currently retired...well, sort of. In my retirement, I am now serving as part-time Pastor of First Evangelical Covenant Church in Superior Wi. I began writing books about seven years ago, and still enjoy speaking and teaching when I can.

I have a deep desire to help people grow in their faith and knowledge of God’s Word. My books are what I call a “Quest for Discipleship”. As I said, I am a published author and I have nineteen books which include my latest called "Tell Me, Show Me, Fill Me, Change Me"; "In It For Life"; “By His Hand”; “Show and Tell”; “The Promised Gift”; “Jars of Clay”; “The Kingdom of God”; “From the Pastor’s Desk”; “More From the Pastor’s Desk”; "T.E.A.M."; "Let Earth Receive Her King"; "Therefore" "Principles from Proverbs"; "God's Top ten"; "Prayer Changes Things", "5 R's of Revelation" and two "Renewed Faith" 90 day devotionals all by Life Ministries Publishing. My wife Judy passed away in 2021and I have since remarried to My wife Crystal.

Thank you for checking out my blog and I hope that you will also check my website at;


😊! E-mail me a question on this link and I will try to answer it here.

Name

Email *

Message *

Friday, August 2, 2013



“Lifeshapes” – 4

 

    Let’s look at our second shape, which is a semi-circle. The shape of the Semi-circle will represent “Balance” in our lives.  Think of the semi-circle as being the shape that a pendulum makes as it swings back and forth – as in a clock. On one side of the semi-circle we will put the word “Work”, and on the other side we will put the word “Rest”.

    God designed us to be productive and reproductive. The problem is that we build our identities around our activities; we are known for and recognized for what we do. We have become human “doings” rather than human “beings”. We need a biblical frame-work with a rhythm of life that allows fruitfulness and productivity in balance with rest. When that balance is missing or one sided, it produces “stress”! We can neither be workaholics nor can we be absolutely lazy…both produce stress, and neither will produce the abundant life God desires for us. I must also add that rest does not mean inactivity.  It means “you shall rest from your work.”
     Let me ask this question – “Do you think we should rest from our work…or work from our rest?” In other words, Do we work all week and rest on Sunday? Or, do we rest on Sunday in order to work all week?  If we think we have a balance in life, why do we schedule meetings, and things we have to DO on our calendar? When was the last time you literally looked at your calendar and scheduled REST?  We can see this balance of rest/work in nature. It’s after the winter of rest that all the activity, production and fruitfulness takes place!
    Let’s take a look at John 15:1-8 …Think about a vine or an apple tree. Does it always bear fruit? No There is a time of rest; growing; budding; fruit bearing; pruning; and resting…a balance; and all the while the branch abides in the vine…Do I have to repeat that?
    We don’t like “pruning”. Pruning is not the fun part of life…but, it is a necessary part of life. You seldom see church banners displaying “40 Days of Pruning” or a sermon series about “Pruning Yourself to A Better Life”… Left to its own, the branch would just continue to grow, increasing in size, but decreasing in strength, endurance, and health until it became unfruitful or unproductive.  Sometimes in our churches we need times of pruning, as well as times of rest and abiding, all of which are a part of “balance”, before activities and fruitfulness can happen. We should always remember that there is much grace and growth to be found in every time and stage of life…so don’t fight it, learn that there is “balance” in life and enjoy it! This is why the Apostle Paul was able to say: “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances”…He also said that he had “learned to be content in all circumstances”. Whether times of pruning or times of fruitfulness, we can always be in balance, and when we are in balance, there is a lot less stress.
    Remember, there should be balance in all areas of our lives. If we spend all our time with friends and none with family, we are out of balance. If we spend all our time watching TV and reading Newspapers, and no time in the truth of God's Word; we are out of balance. If we spend all we have and give none, we are out of balance. I think you get the point.

No comments:

Blog Archive